Upland California History
The early 19th century in the United States was marked by the development of the California Highway System, a series of highways linking Los Angeles and New York. By 1915, car and road use in California had increased significantly, and the idea of a highway linking California with the West Coast of North America and the East Coast was making progress. The area Ontario wanted included the San Gabriel Valley and parts of San Bernardino, San Diego, Santa Cruz and San Mateo counties. It included a number of small towns, such as El Dorado, El Cajon and Santa Rosa.
In 1902, the name "Upland" was used for the entire area north of Ontario, but since the area was higher than Ontario, it became known as North Uplands and then as UPland. In 1906, San Bernardino County, which had also adopted the names U pland for the new city, decided against the lawsuit. The city of UPLand itself was officially founded on May 15, 1906.
California was then part of Mexico, but America's expansion was not to end there, and Gadsden's purchase led to the creation of the US Army Corps of Engineers in San Bernardino County. The Mexican governor arrested Smith shortly before he was released; read this story from the Los Angeles Times about Smith's arrest and subsequent release from prison.
Most of the forest is in Los Angeles County, and a small portion extends as far as San Bernardino and Ventura counties. Upland serves as a major transit hub for the Metrolink San - Bernardino Line, which runs from Los Bernardino to San Angeles Union Station. Interstate 10 Metro to and from Los Angeles and is connected to the country by the USA Highway 101 Freeway and Interstate 5 and Interstate 405 Freeways.
Foothill Boulevard is an east-west route that was formerly part of US Route 66 and takes its name from its original terminus on Upland Boulevard in the city of Los Angeles.
Euclid Avenue is a north-south link that connects Ontario and Chino from south to north and the city of Los Angeles from north to south. Euclid Street: Euclids Avenue was an east-west route from Ontario to Chinos, connecting Ontario to the San Fernando Valley and San Bernardino County from west to east and the San Gabriel Valley to west.
At the end of the Mexican-American War in 1846, California became part of the United States, and 500 Mormons came to the San Bernardino Valley, where they founded wealthy communities. Four miles northwest was the town of Chino, which was equipped with considerable water for irrigation. Spanish settlers followed the Anza Route, which began at the intersection of Euclid Avenue and San Fernando Street in Chinos, to find the cities of Los Angeles. American settlers came to California in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, mostly from Mexico and Mexico City.
In the 1930s, citrus became the dominant agricultural crop in California, and the citrus industry continued to flourish in Upland and neighboring Ontario. By 1930, citrus had become the dominant crop in California and its surroundings. Citrus in Ontario, California, in this photo provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Agricultural Statistics Service (USDA). In the 1920s, citricides became and still are a dominant crop in California. The citrus industry in the highlands and surrounding regions continues to flourish. Cinco de Mayo, California, where citrus fruits are becoming and will become the dominant crop for California. In this image provided by NASA's Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), in the San Bernardino Valley, a citrus-rich region of Southern California.
American settlers came to California after the end of the Mexican-American War of 1846, when California became part of the United States. There was a small Indian village when Tapia was granted land in Rancho Cucamonga in 1839. In 1882, George Chaffey, a Canadian from Ontario, bought land on the west side of San Bernardino County in the Upland and Ontario and founded his own rancho. He then purchased more than 1,000 acres of land in his hometown of Ontario, known as the "Cuc among the Ranchos," for himself and his wife Eliza, and purchased it for his son-in-law, William C. Cusack, the first officer in the US Army.
While the Kiowa and Comanche Indian tribes shared territory in the southern plains, the American Indians in the northwestern and southeastern territories were confined to the Indian territory of what is now Oklahoma, while the Kaibab, Cheyenne, and other tribes in Southern California did not. With so many newcomers moving west, the federal government established a policy that limited the Indians to a small piece of land in their territory reserved exclusively for their use, an attempt to provide more territory for non-Indian settlers.
In 1887, the Santa Fe Railroad built a station there, but it was not built, and the town where Upland is thriving today is unthinkable. The Bedford Brothers, who bore the name Magnolia, had developed a small town with about 1,000 inhabitants in the southern part of the county.